Building enterprise information platforms and achieving information integration are comprehensive processes that require to integrate existing enterprise construction work, such as the existing information systems, website, application management systems. And it is more important to establish a framework to combine the existing systems with the new systems, which need a unified norm and standard. We call it the enterprise information portal.
With the rapid developmen of the computer information network technologies, the applications of Internet /Intranet have spread worldwide, which not only makes it possible to share information within and among enterprises, but also but also change the enterprise operating behaviors. It is an important scientific and standardized symbol how much the information technologies are used in the management of an enterprise.
At least the following requirements should be meet to build Enterprise Information Portal:
- The Portal should not be just an ordinary web-site, furthermore, it should be related to the enterprise business.
- Besides the enterprise-level protal, each sector also need its own protal to assist with the department related issues, such as document management and information exchanges.
- User management system should be built, which can provide user authentication and authorization, to ensure high security.
- According to the different work, employees should be provided individual service.
- All the portals should be able to be managed, shared and implemented unified.
- According to enterprise management features and information sources, vertical business portal (Vertical Portals) can be built, and according to different departments and agencies, Horizontal information portal (Horizontal Portals) can also be built.
The Concept of Enterprise Portal
Enterprise Portal can be understood as a unified access and management platform of information, by which, enterprise employees, customers, co-partners, supply companies, agents and other closely related persons can acquire their interested information, finish business processes, and exchange knowledges.
The value of the enterprise information portal is that it enables enterprises to release all stored information within the enterprise, which makes it possible for the employees, customers and partners to access the required information by a single channel. Portal itself is not the final destination.
Classification of Enterprise Portals
According to the usage of portals, they can be generally classified to enterprise portals, departmental portals and personal portals. The relationship among them is shown below:
|Enterprise Portal||Based on the company's business, and provide a platform for all the employees to share the company information.||Company-level information sharing|
|Department Portal||Based on the scope of department work, and provide a platform for all the department employees to share the information.||Departmental communication|
|Personal portal||Related to each person's daily work, and provide a platform to access the company or department information.||Individual's daily work|
According to the user based content and tools, the portals can be divided into four levels: information portals, collaboration portals, professional portals and knowledge portals,which are shown below:
|Information Portal||Connecting individuals and information||Content management|
|Collaboration Portal||Providing interoperability||Primary coordination|
|Professional Portal||According to their abilities, skills and interests, bring people together.||High-level coordination|
|Knowledge Portal||Combination of the three portals, provide personalized contents.||Knowledge management, higher level|
The Goal of Enterprise Portal
- Provide a complete management architecture for enterprise information sharing and knowledge management, and integrate enterprise services and applications.
- Integrating the structured and unstructured information, provide a unified information sharing entrance, to make it possible for staff to access their needed information easily and quickly.
- Provide staff an internal application platform, including the diversity of mobile devices, so that employees can access anytime and anywhere the business data and processes.
- Provide a channel for the dissemination and integration of information, and integrate all the regional companies' and sectors' websites.
- Integrate the enterprise business systems, such as data bases, ERP, data center, document, and other information systems.
- Unified management, improve system security, including user authentication, authorization and management, provide strong security management mechanism, and provide single sign-on service.
- Provided personalized services.
Design Principles of Enterprise Portals
Design and construction of enterprise information portal should follow the following principles:
- The system should be able to be reused, Not simply a website.
- Availability and practicality.
- Use of mature technologies and methods, focus on integration.
- Powerful search engine